We decided we wanted a chilled honeymoon somewhere that wouldn’t ordinarily be on our radar
Splitting 10 days between the Maldives and Sri Lanka was an idea until we discovered there are so many things we wanted to see in Sri Lanka we wouldn’t be able to do a few days without feeling too busy.
South America was also an ideal but with mixed advice regarding Zika virus we decided it was somewhere we could visit in the future.
We got in touch with Andy from AH Escapes who made the whole decision and booking process really easy. We talked through with him what we had to spend and then what our priorities were. We mentioned the Maldives but were concerned our budget might not of been enough. Andy broke down the process so we could achieve exactly what we wanted.
The Maldives is the collective name of 26 Atolls (ring-shaped islands) that surround the capital island, Male in the Indian ocean. You fly into Male and either sea plane or boat to your respective island. All the different islands differ massively in size and price depending on the nature of the resort that inhabit it – some are mega exclusive and top end.
Andy advised that in order to keep the Maldives achievable we could change at Dubai instead of a direct flight. Our priorities were to make sure we we had lots of options to dine as we didn’t fancy the idea of a buffet every night. Andy advised the island of Kuramathi is not only renowned for its cuisine as it has 8 individual al a carte restaurants. It is also one of the largest so there would be alot of exploring we could do.
There are various accommodation options comprising of luxury sea villas down through to garden bungalows. As we were planning on only spending minimal time in our room we opted for something basic which was really spacious and a stones throw from the shore. In our opinion a fair trade to allow us to eat al a carte in a restaurant of our choice every night
Here are some more pictures taken on my Nikon, GroPro Session and iPhone 6S.
Tips for honeymoon planning;
- Speak to an expert – AH Escapes I also booked my Hen-do to Dubai with their help. I hate holiday admin and don’t have patience to spend time trawling deals and checking recommendations online when one conversation with Andy to discuss budget, dates you want to travel. And also a chat about what you are looking for means he can investigate, give you actual first hand advice and book it for you. Not only good for honeymoons – short breaks in europe, last minute deals and round the world trips – AH Escapes facebook page is great for general travel news too
- Look into how you can save costs like not taking a direct flight to your destination or booking last minute
- Don’t overcommit to a jam-packed honeymoon if you are jetting off straight after your wedding – we were glad we had nothing planned but relaxation after a busy few weeks leading up to the wedding
- Look into going away during your honeymoon destinations off season, or just at the start or end of it (shoulder season) when the price can dramatically differ but weather still be good
- Even if you are not going away straight after your wedding try to book your favourite restaurant in between or a night away in a hotel so you keep some momentum between the wedding and honeymoon